Setting up bird nesting boxes in your yard might be complicated. There are lot of things you must consider before doing that. If you have decided to set up such boxes, it is a great way to provide nesting facilities for many different types of birds. These birds will have a chance to safely raise their young. A lot of birds might require holes in order to do their nesting. In the wild, they make these holes in decaying trees. However, it is not always possible for such birds to find a place to nest, that’s why setting up these boxes is a wonderful way to help them.
There are several requirements for the wild bird nesting boxes to be made or chosen correctly. Here are the most important ones:
• The nesting boxed must be made of natural wood
• The walls must be at least three quarter inches thick to keep the house warm
• An entrance opening must be large enough to accommodate the desired birds, but not too large to let big birds in
• The entrance must be high enough from the floor in order to allow the nest to be properly arranged
• The extended cover or roof must be installed to protect the birds from rain
• There should be several drainage holes to let the moisture out.
• Ventilations holes are a must
• There should be a door or a removable panel, which will allow the cleaning of the nesting box.
There are bird nesting boxes plans available on the Internet for those who want to make these boxes on their own. However, if you are not an expert in making bird houses, make sure that at least some of them in your yard are professionally made. So, if you make a mistake, birds will still have a chance to do some nesting.